Saturday, July 18, 2015

JHALAK RELOADED…n …How!!!

               Karan Johar is so cutely flustered and frustrated with the evident boredom and sends a comico-tragic appeal up in the ethers that he will not be silent…well till our Shahid appears with his by now symbolic warning “Silent ho jaa varna main violent ho jaunga” and goes on to set the floor roaring. All we audience could do is sigh and wish why was I not there to join him? Why ever do we not do something in the field of dancing…It was a screaming for applause performance and we loved it…
This time we have an array of judges however seated separately and termed Dance Gurus…namely our Ganesh Hegde who brings with him deeper than thou Knowledge of this arena and the Dainty Lauren Gottlieb…
It did confuse me for a while that why we had such baffling separate seating arrangements but it did become apparent a little later as both the episodes unfolded. Shahid has been given a separate open “La Chaise” for he doubles up or rather spreads himself around in multi farious ways…He is the judge after the performance…he is the motivator before an appearance like the the Dope he gave to Vivian D’sena as he was very nervous and needed a healthy dope of Humour for his wavering confidence …only he  could understand what it means for the person who has not ever danced and has to face Dance Mavens and top brass from the industry…Each participant was a bit trembly…jittery…
He also was the Anchor in crime with Manish Paul with the Stars post the dance and in the audience when he had to encourage a crumbling Deepika Kakar after her “Freeze n fret” phase…It was extremely sensitive of him to get to the audience to make her cart through such a mortifying morass…naturally he needed to have his chair open and outgoing literally…
Karan was his charming and affluent self…literally the Shaan of the show …he proudly claimed it is not easy to replace him…or establishes his supremacy by sayin
“Main toh free main Smile bhi nahi deta” well that was so cutely arrogant but tells all well “ I am Important and do not trifle with that fact. No one would dare …no one would…
Ganesh Hegde brings rich rich and sensitive knowledge…He is extremely well versed with each terminology and I must say I learned a few new ones and was like…Ummm…it is called…that..ohhhh
He too was very sensitive in pointing out to Deepika’s Choreographer how he could have avoided too many prop manoeuvres in the first performance and shifted the onus of the Mal functioning of the Dancer rightly where it belonged…while we were all going tch tch…and sending waves of sympathy to her, he swiftly and efficiently gave the verdict how the calamity could have been avoided and the dancer’s comfort level be established…after that piece of advice I sat up and took notice and said to myself...Oh yes He is the Technocrat to look out for…for us he will be venerable source of knowledge; to dancers he will give crisp verdicts and choreos a quick assessment of what they did and what they could have done…
Lauren Gottlieb is a Pretty presence however she is still groping with the language and trying to fit into her new role of Judge where just few years back she was a contestant…Her Comfort level is yet to come…she is playing safe with happy and halting statements in mixed Hindi and English…she is yet to pick up the language of Hindi to dole out quick n witty repartees to Machine Gun named Manish Paul …well well well..you will learn on the go I guess…but she is getting straight to the point with the participant with “Aapko bahut mehnat karni padegi…” with a reprimanding but smiling gaze which is just about getting stern…just about…not yet…so we do have all these new people thrown in …tryin to get a rapport goin with each other!
They will get there I guess…slowly as the show progresses…even our Machine Gun seems to be a little Lost …maybe Kapil or Bharti could enliven his chins up a bit…or maybe He will Strike up a Chemistry with Shahid and they go by name SHAMA…but for now we are Content with The cute bonding of Shohar…cheeky one !!!
One word for the Judges who did Adorn our Jhalak Stage all these years…We miss you Remo Sir and scintillating Madhuri Dixit. We miss the Calm aura and radiant reflecting persona of both…but Change is the name of the game…we play it by their rules…We are the audience we either watch what is there or change our Channels…hmm…I’m not yet ready to do that…but someone please give a PALLO or some other delicate accessory to prank with…he needs it…
Getting to the performances…I am no Dance Know all so when I see a dance it is basically how I felt about it…do I wanna go again and search the repeat value of the performance…what did it make me feel…and how entertaining it was…and that is what I shall put forward in the show…do forgive techno goofs if I make any…
Radhika Madan-Rishikaysh
Dance form –Contemporary Lyrical
She announced that Jhalak will see the Real Radhika and she I felt is far far lovelier than Ishaani. She looks so so the dreamy Damsel-young and kissed with little bit of fairy dust. Her act was clean and smooth. It almost felt that the gentle dream came …feathered my senses and left as swiftly…
Strength: Cool lifts and spins with absolutely no mistakes as far as I could see. She danced with complete freedom and elan and was pretty sure of her moves and was well supported by her choreographer who knew her strong points and brought it out equally well
Look into???: It was a simple performance like a whiff of cloud that came and went and floated past with no lasting impact or memory for me…I would love them to give a sassy and saucy performance that makes me get up an d look again…
My Score: 7/10
Mohit Malik- Marischa
Dance form: Afro/Krumping
Tall, well built and energetic is how I expected this dance to be…and to an extent it was but…The choreographer did her best to bring that grace and attitude in him. We did get to see some excellent lifts but there was an awkwardness which was visible on his face. I will put it down to his first time on stage of this magnitude.
Strength: He is well built as I keep repeating and looks awesome on the stage...many outfits and attire will go super awesome on him. He can do the most dangerous lifts in a flick…
Look into??? : His upper body was stiff and it showed…he was little uncomfortable. His expressions too were restrained and slow in the coming…we will give him one more chance…
My score: 6/10
Faisal Khan-Vaishnavi Patil – Vivek Chachere
Dance form- HipHop
God…!!! The entire act my heart and mind was in my Hands…I was praying that my two little cute ones be safe and that slidewala better do a good job…They were so earnest and eager and their rapport was super awesome…They covered the entire stage and moved and whirred and plonked and uff…I had a difficult time whether to admire their Dance or Adore their Gumption. The Dance choreo had too much faith in them to use sucha difficult and complicated prop for both my little ones and they returned it manifold…
Strength: Complicated prop handled deftly and all the possible “show me what you got” moments there. Excellent Rapport between both of them and camaraderie! I’m sure they will pull out tons of surprises for us and I am soo so eager to watch each one of them…My kachchi khilti dhoop he is…effortless grace he is …
Look into???: I wish I could play partial and not use this segment for him but well…in all fairness…I did see a slight clumsiness while moving on the goddamned prop…Not his fault…never for me…I can at least see no wrong. Jeezzz…I will put it down to First performances in front of so many industry’s mavens and who is who…
Both the kids were nervous and a little petrified not for their safety but more so that they do not miss a step and disappoint…Choreographerji…please have mercy and use the beautiful floor to get these two to show their skills…I Exhort I plead…I command…
My Score: 8/10
Shamita-Deepak
Dance form: Free style
She is in Jhalak with an important mission and that is to be known as Herself and not sister of Shilpa Shetty. She need not fret, she does make a cool picture...confident and curvy…However the Dance performance did not really move me to any extent. The choreographer stuck to too much of familiarity and really did not give any edge to her performance that it will stay in the minds far after it is over
Strengths: She is a dancer alright and made all the right moves and crisp cuts with lifts and spins!
Look into???: It was a Bland performance for me. It did not really make me sit up and say...OK I wanna see what she does next. I do request the choreographer to take few risks with her and well make her deliver Some sexy stuff…
My score: 6/10
Vivian D’sena- Bhavna Khanduja
Dance Form-Freestyle
Vivian needs to really let go of all his deep seated inhibitions that do not let him let his heavy guard down. I do know it is an already accepted adage by his own-self and it showed. The choreographer does have a handful job. She will have to work at a multi-level to get this hunk to groove. I can sympathise with him that he needs help loads and loads for I am equally helpless when it comes to dancing…My sympathies with him!
Strengths: He does look handsome in an earthy sort of a way and if he smiles he can churn out some charm out there on the stage.
Look into???: Tons o inhibitions blocking his free movement. He needs to let go and well, let loose…but will he be able to? Time will tell…
My score: 5/10
Subhreet kaur-Diwakar
Dance Form: Freestyle
If anyone who has been handed by God an opportunity and blessing and a challenge it is this lady’s choreographer…She is dollops of determination. She comes with equanimity…she comes with a calm request…do not look at what I do not have look at what I do have…she has lot of inner beauty and charm and abandon of dancing…if anyone it is her who loves Dance and has been demonstrating what worship is all about…Accept my claps #SteelnCotton..She cut a whirling picture and unleashed energy that was unmatched…her smile said it all…I keep all defeatist notions slung over my shoulders...look at me, I dazzle…she did…Tears were of pride and splendour…
She had only strength and strength and strength at least I could not yet in this performance find any Look into??? Yes…Loved it and give 10/10
Scarlett Wilson-Dhiraj Bakshi
Dance Style: Jazz Funk
What a performance!!! It was an awesome awesome sight. Scarlett gave a sexy and sassy do and we enjoyed it thoroughly .Her moves were bold and fabulous. Jhalak is her floor alright and she is here to rock. There were some stunning lifts that they put forward…especially when she lifted her choreographer from the back. They both looked so cute. I was so right when I said that she is the butterfly who will flit and flutter and the audience shall enjoy…
Strengths: She was so cutsie and cut an amazing figure in her purple shimmer …Her leg movements were so clean and she absolutely sung the lyrics with delight..
Look into: I guess she is not a popular tele personality and does not have a wide fan baser and so she might find herself in the lower rung of elimination area quite often. My advice…go out there and promote promote and promote herself…
My Score: 10/10
Kavita Kaushik–Rajit Dev
Dance style: Freestyle
Sensuous was the word from the go…the ambience they created was misty and romantic…any lovey dovey couple planning a pre wedding video must have got creative ideas…Sand play too lend its own brand of sensuality to the whole act. Again the choreographer did choose to deviate from her comfort zone and depict her in different light. I enjoyed the possibilities and its connotations…
Strength: She has a lovely persona on the screen and she is comfortable with her choreographer enough to lose herself in the performance. She cut a stylish sensual and breath-taking painting made lovingly by an equally adoring painter…
Look into???: She looked lovely alright but she needs little finishing and few more oodles of feminine grace. Blame it on too much of Chautala hangover…do step out of that role and soften up a bit more and get into clean lifts…I dunno much on the side of dance that technical way but I sensed a certain awkwardness in moving from one lift to another and a little expression and dance co-ordination…but I want you to stay a bit longer…and on a hind note…do avoid certain jokes…My kids are sitting with me and its hard to giggle and explain…gets mighty embarrassing…though they are veiled…still…
My score: 7/10
Raftaar –Sneha Kaporo
Dance Style: Hip Hop
My first impressions were quite correct. Raftaar is kinda Mr.Good boy all ready to please but my poor guy was stiff nervous and oh so…But you did well and you were fun…Sneha is such a sweet heart and she has struck the right chord within him. She chose a fun theme and managed few crunching manoeuvres…I was like the floor is wet what if he slips…but he managed well...and contrary to my belief he was tongue tied after his performance…Oh do not be you were cool…I loved it. It was masti all the way…
Strengths: He is ready to do what it takes and that is such an asset for the choreographer. He will submit himself to the dance as and how guided. He has a good frame and he can deliver fun numbers…
Look into???: Overcome that flustered expression in your eyes and loosen up guy…you are doing well and how!!!Just smile, commit and enjoy!
My score: 8/10
Sanaya Irani
Dance Style: Bollywood
 
Ok give me flak for this opinion but I felt it was a dispassionate performance. No soul, all the right movements but no connection between the dance choreographer and her. She was doing her own thing albeit good and he was doing his own thing however the act appeared disconnected. She has tons of attitude in her body…she is a good dancer I have seen her before and I maybe expected more. She is so lovely and…I stood disappointed…nervous Sanaya does not gel for me…I will wait for the next act…
Strength: Cool attitude, swift moves, nice lifts. She is so light to pick and lift and scout around…she can set the floor ablaze and it is now the job of the choreographer.
Look into???: Create rapport with your dance partner lady. Look at him into his eyes…maintain a connect...he is not an extra dancer provided in a troupe...he is your guide. Trust him and follow him…
My score: 5/10
Ashish Chowdhry- Vrushali Chavan
Dance Style: Freestyle
Hmm he is a first time dancer and it showed. He did good for his first attempt and well he was pleasant to the eyes. I think he has a spark hidden somewhere in that determined body of his. Once he overcomes this Dance is my weakness syndrome and works on syncing dance and expressions he will be a great combination.
Strengths: He gave an honest performance and was earnest in following all the instructions to the T.
Look into???: Overcome fears and just give yourself to dance Ashish. Synchronise and flow with your movements. Stop telling yourself that you are no good at it…and tell you will get there and give a bomb performance and you will
My score: 7/10
Dipika Kakar- Vaibhav Ghuge
Dance form: Cabaret
Another case of nervousness killing the confidence and I salute HER FOR PICKING UP AND completing her routine courageously! She was nervous and pale from minute one. But she looked beautiful and new until the freeze…She lost all colour from her cheeks and her tears flooded the Jhalak floor…
Strengths: She carried on despite the freeze and I applaud that…It takes courage and split second decision to go up and do a thing like that so clap for you lady…it happens…
Look into???: Control that fluttering anxiety in your tummy. You are beautiful and will do just fine once you step in comfortably into the stage routine
My score: 7/10
A word of salute to Mr Ganesh Hegde…He was quick and a keen observer. He was the one to put the onus back on the choreographer for the debacle. True…celebrities have to work hard but the first time…she was nervous…was it not choreo’s duty to give her comfortable moves and steps…but he chose instead to use tough props and crush an already crumbling heart…he chose to demonstrate all his skills into one go instead of focusing on the individual he was given…Salut Mr Hegde and I KINDA loved the way Shahid went around the audience in order to uplift her confidence and give her the much needed boost..
This is what Jhalak will go on to become…a show with memorable moments and bonding. Few will return to their lives and few will bond forever…
I, as an audience am looking forward to the party theme and ready to party…
These are simply musings and personal opinions. They are not meant to offend anybody. Bloggers write with inbuilt honesty and with a sense of fun…I do apologise if my words miff anybody…I wish all the participants and judges EID MUBARAK…GOOD LUCK AND LOTS of love to all…
                           By Sonnal Pardiwala
 © Sonnal Pardiwala. All Rights Reserved.

The Writer claims no rights to the images used in this blog post. 



No comments:

Post a Comment