Thursday, April 20, 2017

Heal Like An Indian - #MoreIndianThanYouThink

Mumbai, after New Delhi, received "Lufthansa's A350-900 Airbus". Lufthansa launched its most modern and environment-friendly flight from Munich to Chattrapati Shivaji International Airport. My heart received this news with a nod and shake of appreciation. India is getting its fair share of attention and is a globally coveted destination. 

What grabbed my attention, though, was the TV Commercial on "Be like Indian" ,"Think like Indian" ,"Eat like Indian", "Dance like Indian"!



For those few moments brought ponderous thoughts and a tug of pride at being an Indian. Worldwide our habits, our methodologies, our philosophies are being observed and seriously considered worth emulating. This country is a system in itself where civilizations have left footprints that can guide us for eons to come. 

What Resonates in the Commercial is the call to Be like an Indian in all ways possible and be an invincible force to reckon with. 

I would like to add another simple, winning line: 

"Heal like an Indian


There is a deep truth and message of peaceful healing and going back to roots experience I share here. 

Eight years back, my mom was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Busy as I was in raising my kids and tending to my young family, I barely contributed much to her well being, thinking I was just one of the three daughters, there were others who should or would take care. Besides, my father was there to take all decisions. 

I blindly followed the dictates of Doctors as she underwent Splenectomy, where the Cancer had spread. OK, surgery done, immediate threat resolved! All went back to their regular life, without much thought. Doctors had warned of a possible relapse but well, I and others in the family thought it was a distant future. I did not sit back and guide my mother about natural alternatives nor peeked much into her life.

I was busy, you see.
The insidious thing struck again this February in the form of lumps in the Lymph nodes. Diagnosis shook us out of our self imposed, selfish and self-deceptive lethargic frame.

I stood trembling at the verdict- Stage 4 of Peripheral T cell Lymphoma. Being a Heart patient, even the Chemotherapy would have to delete few drugs reducing its efficacy further. 

Doctor's opinion was that she had a year or less left. Chemotherapy would create little more Longevity but side effects galore! 

"How do you say Goodbye to your mom?"

"How Selfish I was to overlook my own mother's deteriorating health!?"

Guilt, remorse, self deprecation all washed through me.
My mom, not very educated was blissfully, unaware of her state till then. The first episode was kept a secret from her but now we had to tell her!

Tell her, you have less time left on this earth...with us...

Her tears streamed with tons of emotions, regret at unaccomplished things, agony of Days to come. 

Her first fear she put in front of me.

"I will not do Chemo! I do not want to go through all that radiation, burns, hairloss!"

This time I vowed to myself, I will be in this with her. I wanted her last days to be peaceful and hopeful. I along with my sisters will find a way to heal her or at least reduce her pain as much as possible. Her strong principles do not allow her to camp at her daughters house except those enforced medical diagnosis days of assessments and subsequent mandatory rest. She needed a place to stay without responsibility of daily cooking and chores, her heart needed hope and an alternative to Chemotherapy. 

That is where the "Heal Like Indian" adage made inroads to my heart. 

I began searching ways that will help her. Her frail body was too weak to implement yoga and diet restrictions already in place we could hardly get or risk trying. 

I had to find something that will deeply resonate and find a niche in her Indian heart. 

Then I hit upon with blessings a natural method that would perfectly serve her needs and give her hope and an alternative to the painful Chemo treatment. 

She is a rural-bred soul, that grew up with cows and fields. 

She revered cows and had an affinity for them from childhood. Not only was it an object of her religious worship, but also a source of nutrition. Floors were adorned with natural paste of sand, cow-dung and dry grass. Fields were made rich with their manure. 

Just the right source to submit, for her to heal. 

We found therapy based on using Cow products and as she applied diligently, she felt her weakness episodes reduce and appetite return. Though we realized, she needed complete rest and freedom from the feeling that Cancer was a punishment for her  misdeeds! Her stress mounted as the full impact of her condition began dawning and so the waterfall of her tears. She needed a break and healthy dose of reassurance that she is not alone.

We found an authorised Institute in the State of Gujarat that offered an 11-day retreat using  Panchgavya therapy. They made their syrups, packs, medicines made of all substances derived from the cow. They offer free services right from purified water with Tulsi leaves to specially cooked food to medicines made lovingly by their compassionate Souls that believe in "Service to Humanity", their biggest goal. They have  group discussions on people sharing their experiences with this debilitating disease called Cancer, their symptoms, their attempts at finding a cure. A small little community enclosed in that caring space which says that you can heal this dreadful army of cancerous growth. 

As I write this blog, she is in her fourth day of retreat with my sister pampering her. Her misgivings replaced by hope as many like her share and partake of this selfless service we call "Seva". 

Yes, India has a legacy of healing the natural way and offering "Seva" with a pure heart. It is all encompassing and all embracing. Ever since she started the treatment, she feels empowered.

Ever since she heard of the institute, it was her last vestige of hope of a painless death. 

These compassionate souls who have created this space out of benevolent intentions to help heal and cure. No material benefits are solicited - only a heartfelt need to alleviate suffering and allay fears in those hearts that were losing the last vestiges of life control. 

I do not know how long will my mom live but I know she will live feeling empowered to be able to give a tough fight to the undisciplined army of cells gnawing away her body. 

This touch of 'Karuna' has enhanced her and re-instilled in me, my faith in my Indian roots. 

When your health seems to spiral out of your control, I would boom. A therapy fountain springs in every corner of India! 

If you want to beat a Disease... Well...You have to 
"Heal like an Indian".

Have a look at what Lufthansa has to offer...definitely #MoreIndianThanYouThink: bit.ly/2oQTj8q

1 comment: